DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY
Department of Psychiatry is a medical subspecialty which deals with the spectrum ranging from psychological problems to the mental health disorder. Our department is the integral part of the institute which provides comprehensive medical services to patients. The department is living up to the motto of the institution and working ahead to achieve it. In collaboration with other departments such as General Medicine, Paediatrics, Radiology, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, various specialty clinics have been set up.
1. To provide comprehensive and accessible patient care
2. Establish excellence in medical education for undergraduates, post graduates, nursing and paramedical staff
3. To undertake and encourage scientific research.
Name of the first HOD
Dr. Kiran Jakhar
Dr. Kiran Jakhar
Assistant Professor & Head
Dr Kiran Jakhar graduated (MBBS) from Ganesh Shanker Vidhayarthi Memorial Medical College, Kanpur, (UP). She earned her M.D. (Psychiatry) degree from P.G.I.M.E.R. Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, New Delhi. During her senior residency from P.G.I.M.E.R. Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, New Delhi, she also passed DNB (Psychiatry) from National Board of Examinations. Following which she joined as Senior Research Associate (Pool Officer) at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Presently working as Assistant Professor (Psychiatry) in Government Institute of Medical Sciences, Greater Noida.
Area of interest
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Details of conferences/ CME/ workshops - Dr Kiran Jakhar
1. Workshop on Comprehensive Life Saving Skills at New Delhi 2011.
2. Workshop on “The Basics of Medical Writing” at New Delhi 2011.
3. Workshop on ICH GCP Guidelines and Schedule Y AT New Delhi 2012.
4. Fifth International conference on Schizophrenia (ICONS V of SCARF ) at Chennai 2012.
5. PG Development Programme at Panchkula Haryana 2013.
6. XXIII Annual Conference of Delhi Psychiatric Society at New Delhi 2013.
7. Workshop on promoting the use International Classification of Functioning, Disability & Health (ICF) at New Delhi 2013.
8. Neurocognition Update & workshop on Neuro Psychology at New Delhi 2013.
9. CME on Multiple Sclerosis/ Neuromyelitis Optica at Neuro-opthalmology Update at New Delhi 2013.
10. 38th Annual Conference Indian Psychiatric Society North Zone at New Delhi 2013.
11. National CME “Opoid Substitution Therapy: Policy and Practice at Delhi 2015”.
12. First Bioethics Workshop of the Central India Unit of the Bioethics, Haifa at New Delhi 2015.
13. CME titled “Revisiting Women’s Mental Health at New Delhi 2015.
14. CME on “Violence in Clinical Psychiatry” at New Delhi 2016.
15. 41st Annual Conference Indian Psychiatric Society North Zone at Udaipur 2016.
16. Bioethics Workshop of Central India Unit of UNESCO chair in Bioethics, Haifa New Delhi 2016 in 2016.
17. Workshop on Neuroimaging in Cognitive Research at Delhi, 2016.
18. World Congress of Mental Health of the World Federation for Mental Health World Congress at New Delhi 2017.
19. Bioethics Workshop of Central India Unit of UNESCO in 2017.
20. Certificate course and Workshop on Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation AT New Delhi 2018.
Details of Research publications - Dr Kiran Jakhar
1. Beniwal RP, Bhojak MM, Nathawat SS, Jakhar K. Mental Morbidity among Medical Students in India. Journal of Medical Science and Clinical Research 2017;5(12): 2023-32033
2. Jakhar K, Beniwal RP, Bhatia T, Deshpande SN, Self-harm and suicide attempts in Schizophrenia, Asian Journal of Psychiatry doi:10.1016/j.ajp.2017.08.012
3. Saha R, Jakhar K, Kumar R. Sphenoid wing meningioma presenting as cognitive impairment. Shanghai Archives of Psychiatry 2016; 28(3): 173-176.
4. Jakhar K, Bhatia T, Saha R, Deshpande SN. A cross sectional study of prevalence and correlates of current and past risks in Schizophrenia. Asian Journal of Psychiatry 2015; 14: 36-41.
5. Saha R, Jakhar K. Oligodendroma presenting as chronic mania. Shanghai Arch Psychiatry 2015 25; 27(3): 183-185.
6. Verma R, Goyal S, Jakhar K. Venous dermatitis associated with obsessive compulsive disorder- A case report Egyptian Dermatology Online Journal. June 2014.
7. Jakhar K, Chandra M, Deshpande SN. Translation and acceptability of a comprehensive risk assessment interview in Hindi. Indian Journal of Social Psychiatry 2014; 30(1-2): 49-53.
8. Saha R, Jakhar K. Naltrexone induced panic attacks. Delhi Journal of Psychiatry 2014; 17(1): 216-218.
9. Jakhar K, Saha R, Beniwal RP. Depression in Schizophrenia - Management Issues. Delhi Journal of Psychiatry 2013; 16 (2): 455 - 457.
10. Saha R, Jakhar K, Beniwal RP. Parafalcine Meningioma Presenting as Depression. Delhi Journal of Psychiatry 2013; 16 (2): 462 – 465.
Detail of Research Projects - Dr Kiran Jakhar
1. Neuro-physiological and neuro-cognitive markers of prefrontal functioning as predictors of treatment response in first episode psychosis- Principal Investigator
2. A pilot study of resting state quantitative electroencephalographic spectral analysis in schizophrenia. Co-Investigator
3. Effects of brain stimulation in treatment of depression: A diffuse optical tomography study of acute and longitudinal effects on brain function-Co-Investigator
Detail of Certificate Course - Dr Kiran Jakhar
1. Certificate course and Workshop on Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.
2. Certificate course in Essentials of Palliative Care (CCEPC), 2018 Indian Association of Palliative Care.
3. Certificate course from suicide prevention resource Centre.
A. Preventing Suicide in Emergency Department Patients.
B. A Strategic Planning Approach to Suicide Prevention.
C. Locating and Understanding Data for Suicide Prevention.
4. Guideline focus: psychosis and schizophrenia (NICE).
5. 10 minute consultation: Stopping antidepressants following depression.
6. A practical guide to diagnosing autism in pre-school children.
7. Early psychosis for the non-specialist doctor.
Detail of Awards - Dr Kiran Jakhar
1. Smt. G. D. Kedia Memorial Award of gems association international for securing the highest marks in Final Professional Surgery Examination 2009.
2. Dr. Ramwati Memorial Award of gems association international for securing the highest marks in Gyn. & Obs. Examination 2009.
3. Dr. K. L. Saigal Memorial Award of gems association international for securing the highest marks in Medicine in Final Professional 2009.
4. Certificate of Honour for obtaining distinction in Medicine in MBBS Examination 2009.
5. Certificate of Honour in Microbiology in MBBS Examination 2007.
6. Certificate of Paper in Obs. & Gyn. In MBBS Examination 2009.
7. Certificate of Paper in Surgery in MBBS Examination 2009.
8. Certificate of Paper in Microbiology in MBBS Examination 2009.
9. Certificate of Paper in ENT in MBBS Examination 2009
Details of Gold Medals - Dr Kiran Jakhar
1. Won the G. C. Boral Award for Best Award Paper Presentation at 38th annual conference Indian Psychiatry Society North Zone on 26th& 27thOctober 2013 at Delhi titled “A study of assessment of risks in patients of schizophrenia in a tertiary level general hospital psychiatric unit”.
2. Chancellor Gold Medal for best student in medical field of university 2009.
3. Lala Laxmipat Singhania Gold Medal for scoring highest marks in university examination of MBBS 2009.
4. Dr. B. N. Bhalla Gold Medal for scoring highest marks in final professional examination of MBBS 2009 in GSVM Medical College.
5. Shri Ram Chandra Musadi Gold Medal for being best female student in university in science field 2009.
6. Smt. Sumiti Devi Gold Medal for highest percentage of marks in surgery in MBBS Examination 2009.
7. Smt. Budhulal Mehrotra Gold Medal for highest percentage of marks in final professional part2 MBBS Examination 2009.
8. Smt. Ratan Devi Dixit Gold Medal for highest percentage of marks in Obstetrics & Gynaecology in MBBS Examination 2009.
9. 29th Annual Conference of Indian Ortho Association Gold Medal for highest percentage of marks in Orthopaedics & Surgery in MBBS Examination 2009
Detail of Membership- Dr Kiran Jakhar
1. National Academy of Medical Sciences
2. Indian Psychiatric Society (Life Ordinary Member).
3. Indian Psychiatric Society- North Zone (Life Member)
4. Indian Association of Social Psychiatry
5. Indian Association of Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Detail of Oral and Poster Presentations - Dr Kiran Jakhar
1. Oral Presentation at 38th Annual Conference Indian Psychiatric Society North Zone at New Delhi 2013
2. A talk at CME on “Violence in Clinical Psychiatry” at New Delhi 2016
3. Oral presentation at 41st Annual Conference Indian Psychiatric Society North Zone at Udaipur 2016.
4. Poster presentation at 24th National Conference of Indian Association of Social Psychiatry held on 18 November 2017 at Guwahati titled “DISCONNECTION HYPOTHESIS OF SCHIZOPHRENIA: A ELECTROPHYSIOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE”.
5. Poster presentation in Bioethics Workshop of Central India Unit of UNESCO in 2017.
6. Poster presentation in Bioethics Workshop of Central India Unit of UNESCO in 2016.
7. Poster presentation at the ICONS V of SCARF held in September 2012 at Chennai titled “MIGRATION AND SCHIZOPHRENIA: A CASE REPORT”.
Poster presentation at the ICONS V of SCARF held in September 2012 at Chennai titled “DEPRESSION IN SCHIZOPHRENIA – MANAGEMENT ISSUES
Facility available in Department
1. Outpatient consultation
2. Clinical Examination
3. Clinical Psychological Consultation and counseling
4. Specialty Clinics- De-addiction Clinic, Child Guidance Clinic, Psycho-Sexual Clinic, Geriatric Clinic.
5. Pradhanmantri Jan Aarogya Yojna- Ayushmann Bharat
Facility wise daily work load
1. Psychiatry OPD
2. Psychiatry IPD
3. Clinical Psychological Consultation and Counseling
CME/Workshops organized by the department
Actively involved in teaching and training lectures and activities along with Medicine and allied branches
Reseach activities by the department
1. 02 Psychiatry OPD consultation rooms
2. Clerk Room
3. Waiting area for patients
4. Patient education poster
1.08 Patient beds with suction, side table and stool
2. Nursing station
3. Duty Room
4. Wards are constructed in such a way that Nursing Station is able to have an overview of all the patients in the wards.
5. Examination and Treatment Room
6. Resident Doctor and student’s duty room
7. Pantry Room
8. Store room for linen and other equipment
9. Clinical Demonstration room
Teaching Aids available
1 Demo Room
No. of PCs and laptop Computers in Department